|Here I am atop Monaco's very chic Hotel Metropole with the principality's fabled casino in the distance.
The past few weeks have been an absolute whirl, and I have been on the road non-stop. Since April 15, I have been to Zurich, Monaco, upstate New York, Milwaukee and Kohler, Wisconsin, and New Orleans twice! Now, I am off for a week in LA, and I am planning trips to New Orleans (again), Florida, London, Turkey, Hong Kong, Marrakech and Iowa. Whew!
But no complaints: I love being a jet-setter who sees the world and has access to the most amazing people. Living out of my suitcase has taught me how to be very concise and controlled. What I can do with a pair of jeans, a T-shirt, a sport coat and driving moccasins is impressive. This uniform can carry me around the world and back.
A few thoughts from my recent travels:
- I have never seen so many obnoxiously expensive cars as I spotted in Monaco.
- I want to move to New Orleans. Seriously.
- Milwaukee was a totally surprise. I loved it. Usinger’s Sausages. A Calatrava-designed museum. The restaurant scene. Wow!
- Zurich has a wonderful airport and gobs of smoking lounges.
- The Eau de Vie suite at The American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin, is fabulous.
When I write the book about my far-flung adventures, I have a working title in mind: From Monaco to Milwaukee: My Mixed-Up Adventures in Glamourland. The other potential title is: From China to Cracker Barrel: How a Boy from Florida Ended Up In and Out of Vogue.