The Mall of America is a whopping 4.2 million square feet, so wear your best walking shoes.
As one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world, you can shop, ride a roller coaster, tie the knot, build with Legos, meet new sea life or see a movie at the Mall of America
. Check out these fun facts about this huge entertainment complex.
60 East Broadway, Bloomington, 952-883-8800
- In its 4.2 million square feet, the Mall of America houses more than 520 shops, 20 sit-down restaurants and 30 fast-food restaurants.
- Completed in August 1992, the building costs reached $650 million.
- Break out the walking shoes because the distance around one level is 0.57 miles.
- The mall is anchored on each end with four major department stores, Nordstrom, Macy’s, Bloomingdales and Sears.
- 258 Statues of Liberty could lay inside the Mall, along with seven Yankee stadiums and 32 Boeing 747’s.
- If a shopper spent 10 minutes browsing every store, it would take them more than 86 hours to complete their visit.
- More than 5,000 couples from around the world have tied the knot at the Chapel of Love wedding chapel inside the Mall.
- The Underwater Adventures aquarium holds 1.2 million gallons of water.
- Approximately four out of every 10 visitors are tourists as defined as people who live outside the 150-mile radius of the Mall.
- More than 28 million people live within a day’s drive.
- The temperature inside is always a perfect 70 degrees, thanks to solar heating.
- The Mall has been a site for movies, such as Jingle All The Way and Mighty Ducks, and the world premiere of Ice Age.
- The amusement park in the center of the Mall is called Nickelodeon Universe, the nation’s first Nick theme park.