Inspiration Point Overlook is just one of the few places to catch a great glimpse of San Francisco.
San Francisco’s steep hills, stunning landscape and gorgeous architecture make for some great views. No matter your lifestyle or travel reasons, we’ve found a place for you to feast your eyes upon the skyline.
- For some classic sightseeing, Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill is a great lookout spot for panoramic views of San Francisco and the bay. Public transportation is faster and easier, since traffic is heavy in this area. Hop aboard the No. 39 bus from Washington Square to head up to the tower.
- The Marin headlands north of the bridge offer spectacular photo opportunities, especially of the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco skyline. To drive there, take the Alexander Avenue turnoff, and follow the Golden Gate National Recreation Area signs that lead under Highway 101 south to San Francisco. Then take the first turn west up to the headlands.
- The Carnelian Room is a perfect spot for closing a big business deal or a romantic dinner for two. The fine dining restaurant is located on the 52nd floor, and the food is contemporary French with Asian and South American influences, all with a California twist. Dress is casual elegant, and jackets for men are recommended.
- Top of the Mark, located on the 19th floor of the InterContinental Mark Hopkins Hotel, offers an almost complete, 360-degree view of San Francisco. Enjoy views of Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower and more during a meal. Breakfast and lunch is offered Monday through Saturday. A Sunday brunch is available, and a prix fixe dinner is served on Friday and Saturday evenings. Top of the Mark is open for cocktails nightly and is most famous for their extensive drink list of 100 martinis.
- The View is a lounge located on top of the San Francisco Marriott hotel, 39 floors high. Dress code is casual and light fare is also served, making this a perfect after-dinner or after-theater hangout. Call 415-896-1600 or visit the website.
- Alcatraz offers spectacular views of the entire city of San Francisco. Imagine how prisoners felt viewing one of the most beautiful cities and landscapes in the nation from captivity! Cruises and tours are offered through the official tour company of the island, Alcatraz Cruises. Allow at least two-and-a-half hours for the excursion.